Welcome to our landing page for engineers, with information about professional licensure and the process for earning the P.E.

The licensure process for engineers, which leads to the P.E., involves meeting standards in education, experience, and exams.

State and territorial engineering licensure boards grant the P.E. license in the United States. Collectively, these boards make up NCEES. While the licensure process is generally the same in each state, some specific requirements vary. Look up requirements and contact information for state licensing boards.

Multistate practice

Many professional engineers find that their careers require them to be licensed in more than one state. To do this, a P.E. must apply for comity licensure in additional states. NCEES Records is a service designed for engineers seeking comity licensure.Read more about NCEES Records, and learn how to establish a record.


Visit our exams section for information about the exam components of engineering licensure, including detailed exam specifications and policies.

For those who have registered for an exam, NCEES offers exam preparation materials designed to familiarize candidates with the material they can expect on exam day.


The NCEES licensure model requires candidates for licensure to hold a bachelor’s degree in engineering from an accredited engineering program or its equivalent.

The body that accredits engineering programs in the United States is ABET, Inc. Visit the ABET website to learn more about the accreditation process and to look up accredited programs.

Foreign degree evaluations

Many licensing boards require candidates who have earned engineering degrees outside the United States or from non-ABET accredited U.S. programs to demonstrate that their degree is substantially equivalent to an ABET degree. Often, this requires a professional evaluation. NCEES Credentials Evaluations provides this service to licensing boards and licensure candidates.

Issues affecting licensure

Licensure is not a static process. To protect the health, safety, and welfare of the public, licensure adapts to the changing nature of the built environment. Every year, NCEES leadership assigns committees and task forces to research various issues affecting licensure and to propose changes to NCEES policy when necessary. Then, once a year, the voting members of NCEES—that is, the state licensing boards—gather to make policy decisions.

Read more about NCEES governance and related materials.

The specific language for licensure requirements can be found in the NCEES Model Law and Model Rules, which are documents maintained and published by NCEES. The Model Law and Model Rules contain language approved by a majority of the NCEES member licensing boards and represent a best-practices model for licensure.

Visit our publications page to download the Model Law, Model Rules, and other policy documents.

NCEES periodically provides news releases to notify constituents and others throughout the profession of changes to licensing policies, including changes to exam offerings and specifications.

View archived news releases.

Licensure Exchange: NCEES publishes a bimonthly newsletter, Licensure Exchange, that updates its constituents on the activities of its leadership and the various committees and task forces that meet throughout the year. Find links to the current issue and past issues on the Licensure Exchange page.