Skip to main content

Military accommodations

If you or your spouse is currently serving as an active-duty member of the U.S. Armed Forces, you can request to take an exam in a state or territory different from the one in which you are applying for licensure.


If requesting accommodations for April 2021 pencil-and-paper exams, all requests and supporting documentation must be received by 3:00 p.m. EST on March 4, 2021.

While there isn’t a stated deadline for computer-based testing (CBT) exams, examinees taking CBT exams should account for up to an additional 30-day processing time when planning to take the exam. Examinees will not be authorized to schedule an appointment for testing until this process has been completed.

Learn about the format of your exam.

Requesting alternate exam location

When registering, select the state where you are applying for licensure and complete your registration as if you were sitting for the exam in that state. During registration, answer yes when asked if you need special accommodations. After you have registered, you will receive an email with a link where you can provide information about where you would like to sit for the exam.

Supporting documentation

You will also be required to upload or submit documentation indicating that you will be stationed outside the state where you have registered. You can upload the documentation after registering, when you indicate where you wish to sit, or send it directly to


After your request has been considered, NCEES will notify you of any alternate military testing granted.